Recommended Sources for MA in English Literature University Entrance Exam
These are the major texts in literary history and literary criticism that have to be studied meticulously for the English Literature MA ecntrance exam. This list is by no means exhaustive and only includes the most commonly referred to texts.
Literary History and Literary Works:
1. The Norton Anthology of English Literature ; Ed. by M.H. Abrams et al.
1. A Glossary of Literary Terms ; M. H. Abrams
2. An Introduction to Literary Criticism ; Richard Dutton
3. A Short History of Literary Criticism ; Vernon Hall
4. Literary Criticism: An Introduction to Theory and Practice ; Charles E. Bressler
5. A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature ; Wifred Guerin
These are sources that complement the primary sources and should be studied in conjunction with them. The list is by no means exhaustive and only includes some of the better known supplementary texts often recommended to be studied for the exam.
1. Perrine’s Literature: Structure, Sound and Sense (3 Volumes)
2. A Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory ; J. A. Cuddon
3. An Outline of English Literature ; G. C. Thornley, Gwyneth
4. The Norton Anthology of American Literature
5. The McGrow-Hill Guide to English Literature ; Karen Lawrence et al. (2 Volumes)
6. The Oxford Companion to English Literature ; Margaret Drabble
7. Cambridge Paperback Guide to Literature in English ; Ian Ousby